Host of authors and illustrators support the House of Illustration
On Monday 8th December, Sotheby’s will host First Editions: Redrawn, an auction of annotated first editions from some of the world’s greatest living illustrators to raise money for House of Illustration.
Thirty-four much-loved illustrators – and some authors – have annotated and re-drawn timeless classics to create 38 stunning lots, giving a unique insight into the creative process involved. Each illustrator has carefully selected and returned to their chosen books, providing additional illustrations, comments on existing drawings or even personal insights about the motivation behind characters.
Highlight lots include:
* Terry Gilliam Annotations of Mortality
* Raymond Briggs The Snowman including personal insights on the landscape and character
• Peter Blake Alice Through the Looking-Glass including new illustrations and annotations of this all-time classic
* Quentin Blake’s reworking of Charlie and The Chocolate Factory - 'with added Vanilla Fudge' in reference to the recent publication of a chapter discarded from an early draft
• Michael Bond A Bear Called Paddington with extensive personal insights from Bond on writing the first ever Paddington book
* Judith Kerr’s The Tiger who came to tea, with the tiger wearing a top hat and annotations on the story behind its creation
• Tony Ross and David Walliam’s Demon Dentist, including new illustrations and extensive annotations by David Walliams
* Axel Scheffler and Julia Donaldson’s The Gruffalo
Whether you are a book collector, an illustration enthusiast, a passionate fan of the book itself or someone who remembers the book as part of your own, or your children's childhood, there is something here to surprise and delight everyone.
The funds raised from the auction will enable House of Illustration to fulfil its ambitions for the new space, to engage more people in illustration and to further develop its pioneering education work, which uses illustration to develop key literacy, creative and communication skills.
The auction will be held at Sotheby's, 34-35 New Bond Street, London W1A 2AA on Monday 8 December at 7.30pm (doors open at 7.15pm).
You can come in person and bid on the night; place a bid in advance of the auction by contacting House of Illustration on 020 3696 2022 or Sotheby's bid department on 020 7293 5283; or bid by phone on the night by registering in advance of the auction with Sotheby's bid department who will phone you in advance of the lot.
See a PDF of the full catalogue (56 pages) by clicking this link: FIRST EDITIONS: REDRAWN catalogue
See The House of Illustration website for further information and details of current exhibitions